Sunday, December 28, 2014

Sweet Tea: Chinese Wedding Tea Ceremony

My mom was asked to be the Lucky Lady at my friend's Chinese wedding tea ceremony yesterday; of course, I helped out.

Our original plan was have a dried red date and a sweetened lotus seed in each cup; however, after much searching, we were unable to locate the sweetened lotus seed.  We were told that these are not available until closer to Lunar New Year.  Therefore, we substitute it with dried logan.  I really wanted the sweetened lotus seed for my friends because I know they really want to have kids and the bride really wants a girl, but with much hesitant, I settled on the dried logan which represents many sons.  Dried red date was added for good luck.  In the Chinese culture, red is good for everything. Sweet tea was served by the couple to represent their sweet reunion.

Dried Logan

Dried Red Date



I set up the cups before the guest arrives and put one dried logan and one dried red date in each cup. We used the tea the restaurant.  I have all this set-up and when the tea ceremony begins, a helper simply pour tea into the cups for serving.
Chinese Wedding Paper Tea Cups
Chinese Wedding Tea Tray

Ready to serve the first family member.  One family member gets two cups -- one cup of tea from the bride and one from the groom.  If serving a couple together (like parents, grandparents, an uncle & an aunt), you will need four cups of tea on the tray for serving.




Sweet wedding tea with dried red date and dried logan

Going back and forth serving tea and the lucky envelopes are from the tea guests to all the helpers in the tea ceremony




The tea ceremony luncheon ended with a red bean soup that has lily bulb and lotus seed in it.  I was so happy when I saw the lotus seed.  It was a sign of relief that perhaps besides many sons, my friend can have a daughter too!  :-)

We are actually Christians, so we turn to God on blessing my friends with children.  However, the new couple wanted this ceremony to honor and respect their families.  Therefore, all the good luck elements are from the perspective of honoring our culture.



No comments:

Post a Comment