Friday, December 5, 2014

Fall Inspired: Persimmon Curry Beef Rice Noodle Soup

The last time I went back to Macau, my aunt took me to three different places to eat curry beef rice noodle soup.  Today, I made my homemade version -- this is a healthier version, which means, it might be too blend for some you out there.

But here it is:

Part 1: Curry Beef with Persimmon
1 ripe Hachiya persimmon
1 onion
14 oz of beef stew meat (I find this too lean, will use some tendon or something fattier next time)
1 tablespoon of curry oil
small piece of dried tangerine peel
salt to taste




1) I rinsed the stew meat and towel dry it.



2) Marinate the meat with persimmon, tangerine peel, and salt



Ripe Hachiya Persimmon, peel persimmon



Place peeled ripe persimmon and cutted tangerine peels into the container with the beef


Mixed persimmon with the beef, add salt into the mix


Cover, leave in fridge to marinate overnight



3) Cut onion into cube





4) Put marinated beef, onions, and a tablespoon of curry oil into a slow cooker; set high and cook for 8 hours.  I cooked mine for 10 hours because I turned it on before I go to work and off when I returned to work.  No timer on this slow cooker.  

Onion cubes at the bottom, persimmon marinated beef, curry oil





This is the curry oil I used.  My aunt got me this from Macau



5) Finish product: Persimmon Curry Beef
You can serve this with rice also


Part 2: Rice Noodle Soup

1) Soak rice noodle for 30 minutes




2) Boil water (around a quart), add teaspoon of chicken bouillon to water, add 2 tablespoon of persimmon curry beef (you can add more -- this is tailored to your liking)  to boiling water
This is the bouillon I used

3) Add rice noodle to soup base, cover and bring it to boil.  The noodles will float on top when it's down.  Try a strand of noodle to make sure it's soft (cooked).  Add salt to taste.

Cover this after adding rice noodle.  Let it boil



4) My dinner: Persimmon Curry Beef Rice Noodle Soup



Bonus


You can substitute the rice noodle with ramen!  It will make it tastier (less healthy) :-)
But it's also quicker.  After the Persimmon Curry Beef is done.  Just cook your ramen and add the persimmon curry beef to your ramen.

You can serve the dish with rice on Day 1 then ramen on Day 2!


I freezed the dish, took it out of the freezer last night and make my Persimmon Curry Beef Ramen






Hope you enjoy this.









No comments:

Post a Comment