Wednesday, November 19, 2014

A Taste of Childhood: Butter Sugar Toast and More

Peanut butter jelly sandwiches probably is the first thing that comes to mind when it comes to childhood sandwiches; however, my version of childhood sandwich is the butter sugar toast.

Butter Sugar Toast
2 slices of bread
Toast the bread
Spread butter on the warm toasted bread
Sprinkle sugar on top of the melted butter



My night time snack last night -- Butter Sugar Toast

















There is another variation to this toast -- which is the Peanut Butter Sugar Toast, simply replace butter with peanut butter.  It's delicious, but due to nut allergies, this has been banned from my household.


My colleague has given me permission to share her childhood sandwich --

Bread with Sweetened Condensed Milk

A slice of soft white bread
Drizzle sweetened condensed milk on the slice of bread


These are easy to make and importantly, every time I make butter sugar toast, it reminds me of my mother and how she used to make it for us when we were a kid.  The same for my colleague, when it comes to her bread with sweetened condensed milk -- it always reminds her of mom.







1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of simpler times. Our family variation was butter and sweetened condensed milk.

    Time for some toast!

    ReplyDelete